2/04/2008

Birthday Banner

This was a long time coming. I knew I wanted to make a banner for Cambelle and her family, and once I found this pattern, I fell in love with it. I'm pretty sure I must have been on steroids when I decided to make it. I figured, "Why not - I may as well make one for each of my children, for their children, someday." What was I thinking? Thankfully, I cut them all out at the same time or I may have lost interest.
It's made with felt, embroidery floss, and a some buttons. The number in the center is buttoned on and is changeable for each family member. I made 1 through 9 on larger squares and enough interchangeable, single digit, narrower ones all the way to 99. I had better get to stitching with that grand-baby coming. At the rate I've been working, it make take until it's 1st birthday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tracie what a stroke of genius to have one for the entire family! And the number, why didn't you think of that before you hand sewed all those pesky candles on your boy's banners? I guess we learn by the things that annoy us, huh?
Well, all I can say is, "Gosh, that's cute!"
Gee, Suzanne hasn't asked ME to sew any birthday banners for her.... I wonder if it's because mine look like a blind crazy person made them with a hot glue gun.
~Michele
PS I can't believe I've missed 2 posts!

Tracie said...

Hi Michele,
No, no, no - I don't sew those candles on, I use your weapon of choice - the glue gun. Don't say that about your banners. I love them. Suzanne's are really cute, too.

Dana said...

It is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a wonderful idea! I still haven't finished my baby girls cross stitch baby blanket, and she is 17!!! eek.
Perhaps it will be done when she has babies!
Great job!! Can't wait to see it in person!
love you tons and gobs,
Dana

fun_is_always_in_style said...

you're funny -
it turned out soooo cute. I love the colors, the buttonhole stitch all around; they'll love using it.